Wednesday 24 August 2011











The Uncultured English Player

Something that has really interested me over the past few months is the fact that european teams in the top leagues of Spain, Germany, Italy and beyond never seem to buy english or british talent to the extent english teams buy from abroad.

What is it that stops british talent from going abroad?

The BBCs Aimee Lewis looks into english players perceived fear of going abroad to play their football and interviews former England and Marseille winger Chris Waddle and former Real Zaragoza, now Stoke winger Jermaine Pennant.

Both make poignant observations from their time spent abroad, in particular Waddle who "cited an unwillingness to embrace a new culture and the inability to learn a new language as reasons for this. "When I signed for Marseille, someone asked me if I was going to learn French. I wouldn't' they said, I'd make them speak English. And that sums us up. We don't want to learn anything. We don't want to copy".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8727084.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment